Kindergarten is mandatory in Hawaiʻi.
Children must be 5 years old on or before July 31 to enter kindergarten in the upcoming school year. For example, children who are 5 years old by July 31, may enroll for the upcoming school year. Children who turn 5 on August 1 or later must enroll in the following school year.
Parents whose children attended kindergarten outside of Hawaiʻi or at a private school can discuss enrollment options with our administrators. With many possible placement scenarios, the final decision for a child's placement will be based on the principal's discussions with parents and the appropriate teaching staff.
For more information about enrolling in kindergarten, please visit the Department's webpage on kindergarten and Frequently Asked Questions.
- Any student who transfers from an out-of-state public school and who does not meet regular age requirements for admission to the school of the state being transferred into shall be admitted upon presentation of the data required in subsection (3).
- Any student who transfers from an out-of-state nonpublic school and who does not meet regular age requirements for admission to a public school in the state being transferred, shall be admitted if the student meets age requirements for public schools within the state from which he or she is transferring, and if the transfer of the student’s academic credit is acceptable under rules of the school board. Prior to admission, the parent or guardian must also provide the data required in subsection (3).
- In order to be admitted into a school of the state being transferred, such a student transferring from an out-of-state school must provide the following data:
- Official documentation that the parent(s) or guardian(s) were resident(s) of the state in which the child was previously enrolled in school;
- An official letter or transcript from the proper school authority which shows record of attendance, academic information, and grade placement of the student;
- Documented evidence of immunization against communicable diseases; and
- Evidence of date of birth.