Gifted and Talented
HOW TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION
All nominations were due on Tuesday, December 1, 2020. Mahalo!
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (Updated 11/20/2020)
How does the Leilehua Complex define characteristics of a Gifted and Talented student?
Gifted learners are “children and youth with outstanding talent who perform or show the potential for performing at remarkably high levels of accomplishment when compared with others of their age, experience, or environment.” (U.S. Department of Education, 1993, p.3)
- Is able to express ideas in a variety of alternate ways.
- Generates a large number of ideas or solutions to problems and questions, often offers unusual, way out, or unique, clever responses.
- Needs little external motivation to continue an activity that he/she finds interesting, is willing to persist on challenging tasks.
- Can analyze an issue from many points of view.
- Exceptional ability to draw inferences; perspectives.
What is the identification process?
- An announcement letter is sent to parents and teachers of grades 3-5 students.
- Parents and teachers can submit a nomination form with a rating scale for the student.
- Nominated students are screened in multiple categories (e.g, cognitive ability, achievement, creativity, writing, parent/teacher rating scale, etc.) during in-person testing sessions.
- Student data is gathered for review, recommendation, and approval from the administration team.
- Parents and homeroom teachers will be notified of the screening results and next steps.
What is the program like at DKIES?
Due to COVID-19, our enrichment class is offered only through a distance learning model this school year. Identified students meet online every Wednesday for a synchronous session from 8:30-9:25 AM. Students also complete weekly asynchronous assignments on Google Classroom before and after the class meeting.
Are grade levels mixed?
Yes, the current cohort includes students from grades 3, 4, and 5. The makeup of the next cohort will vary depending on the testing results.
When is the next testing period?
Our next testing period will be held the week of December 7-11 (and possibly December 14-16 if necessary). All testing is held in person over 1-2 days on campus.
When will the results be ready?
The results will be communicated to parents and homeroom teachers during winter break. This means all identified students would start the enrichment class in the second semester.
Please contact Mrs. Kwon at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Mahalo!