Student Success Advisors » School Based Behavioral Health

School Based Behavioral Health

Daniel K. Inouye Elementary School has School-Based Behavioral Health (SBBH) services provided by a Behavioral Health Specialist (BHS). If your child has an IEP or a 504 Plan, they may qualify for SBBH services. Please talk to the Principal or the Student Services Coordinator to find out more information.
After it’s determined that your child qualifies for SBBH counseling, he/she will most likely attend counseling at least once a week for approximately 30 minutes per week. Sometimes the student invites a friend to the session during lunch, if social skills are the main area of need. Most of the time, the student is pulled from class during the same period each week and may miss some academic instruction. We find that when a child’s social-emotional learning develops in a healthy way, academic success soon follows.
Social skills and coping skills are usually the main focus of counseling. Sometimes play-based counseling is recommended for some of the younger or less verbal students, in order to process some of their thoughts and feelings.
The social skills or coping skills may include topics or activities involving problem solving, making and keeping friends, deep breathing, discussion on how to relieve stress or anxiety, making “I feel…” statements, positive thinking, identifying wants and needs, assertiveness, perseverance, etc. When students cooperate during counseling they are given 5 minutes of free play and a small toy at the end of the session.
The BHS will also attend any and all meetings that she is invited to for the students that are currently receiving her services on the IEP or 504 Plan. Sometimes, on rare occasions, students who do not have an IEP or 504 Plan may receive counseling services from the BHS, but most students would see the Student Success Advisor instead.
If a student ever reports to the BHS that he or she wants to hurt themselves, the BHS will call the parent and report this to them. The BHS will also do a suicide risk assessment to determine the severity of the threat and inform the parents of the threat. If the child tells the parent that he or she wants to hurt themselves the parents should call 911 and could also call any of the supports below:
Resources are available if you or your child need further support:
• Army Community Service – 808-787-4227
• Exceptional Family Member Program—808-787-4227
• Emergency Family Assistant Program have the same phone number—808-787-4227
• Child & Families Behavioral Health Services – 808-433-8140 (Telehealth during COVID-19)
• Military OneSource – 1-800-342-9647 are available 24/7 for crisis help and resources
• 741741 to text chat for resources & coping strategies regarding DV, substance abuse,
       and/ or suicidal ideation
• National Suicide Prevention Lifeline-1-800-342-9647
       Press 1 for Veteran’s Crisis Line available 24/7
Please note: If our school is ever asked to convert to Distance Learning again, we will switch over to virtual counseling sessions in which at least one parent will need to be close by to help their child set up the computer and/or stay engaged in the counseling process. 
Betty Bookmyer, MSCP
Behavioral Health Specialist